My Instant Pot potato soup recipe is creamy and loaded with delicious flavor. It’s really like a loaded baked potato—in a bowl! Pull out your pressure cooker and whip up some of this comforting baked potato soup right now!
Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe
During the winter, Instant Pot Spaghetti and Instant Pot potato soup are staples in our weeknight dinner lineup.
This recipe has been adapted from my popular crock pot cheesy potato soup recipe. I’ve had so many of you ask if I could make an Instant Pot potato soup based on that amazing recipe.
I’ve been holding onto this Instant pot loaded potato soup recipe for a while, as I wanted to make sure it was just right!
How To Make Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Start by prepping your potatoes, onion, and garlic. I like using Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe.
- Add the potatoes, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper to a 6 qt. or larger Instant Pot. Cover with the 6 cups of chicken broth, stir to combine the ingredients.
- Put on the lid on your Instant Pot and set to sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. After 9 minutes use the quick release method.
- In a small bowl, whisk the 3 tablespoons of flour into the half and half until smooth. Take the time to make sure this is quite smooth before using it!
- After the pressure is released from the pressure cooker, remove the lid from the Instant Pot, stir in the half and half mixture until well blended.
- Add the Velveeta cheese and shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Garnish your Instant Pot potato soup with crumbled crispy bacon and green onion, optional. You could also add a dollop of sour cream.
Y’all, this recipe is amazing! If you decide to give it a try, let me know how it turned out for you.
A few of you have already asked if this Instant Pot potato soup can be made without the Velveeta cheese. Personally, I think the addition of the Velveeta adds a lot of flavor and creaminess, but, you can make it with all shredded cheese as well. It’s really up to you.
Best Instant Pot Recipes
- 5 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cold half and half
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 lb. Velveeta cheese, cut into chunks
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Crumbled bacon, optional
- Green onions, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese for topping, optional
- Add the potatoes, onion, garlic, salt and pepper to a 6 qt. or larger Instant Pot. Cover with the 6 cups of chicken broth, stir.
- Put on the lid and set to seal. Cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. After the 9 minutes, do a quick release on the pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk the 3 tablespoons of flour into the cold half and half until smooth. Be sure to whisk thoroughly to remove all lumps.
- After all pressure is released, remove the lid from the Instant pot and stir in the half and half mixture until well blended.
- Add the cheeses and stir gently until melted.
- Garnish with more shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon, and green onion, optional.
Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 587 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 93mg Sodium: 1776mg Carbohydrates: 58g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 9g Protein: 26g
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.